Slack Software Engineer, Backend
Slack is hiring for the position of Software Engineer, Back-end. For insights, practice materials and more such updates related to off-campus drives and internship drives be active on our website.
Slack is looking for Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We build our app using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including PHP/Hack, Java, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. We’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, front-end, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers to make Slack a better product. We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the developer platform.
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world.
What you will be doing
- You’ll brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers, Backend, and Frontend Engineers on your team to conceptualize and build new features for our large (and growing!) user base.
- You’ll produce high-quality results by contributing heavily to team projects that have a significant impact on the business.
- You’ll actively own team features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues.
- You’ll mentor other engineers and deeply review code.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you should have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 2+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can contribute to technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have completed a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.